Our Story

The Story of

BC's Oldest Bakery

WIllie's Original ExteriorThe Early Days

  • Original Bakery Built in 1887
  • Owned and operated by four generations of the Wille family
  • At one time Wille baked 32 different varieties of breads and produced over 500 loaves a bread a day
  • Original granite slabs laid in 1899 remain outside the entrance as well as  the panels of blue glass that were inserted into the sidewalk to allow light into the basement (pre-electricity!)
  • The Wille family lived upstairs from the bakery and parts of his original residence still remain
  • Previous occupants of the adjacent lot included an auctioneer, ice cream shop, and Zero Soap manufactures until the neighbouring building was demolished in 1965
  • Was the oldest continual bakery operating in British Columbia when the bakery closed its doors in 1976
  • Learn more about the history of Willie’s

Willie's Modern ExteriorWillie’s Today

  • Wille’s reopened in 1999
  • Beautifully renovated with the original counter design duplicated in the new restaurant
  • Additional remodeling completed in 2015
  • Willie’s now specializes in organic, free-range, and local ingredients
  • Willie’s serves one of Victoria’s most extensive selection of Eggs Benedicts
  • Two self-contained, beautifully renovated vacation rental suites with 1887 character now exist above the restaurant
  • The adjacent lot has now become the urban brick and garden patio of Willie’s
  • An extensive patio renovation was completed in 2016
  • Learn more about The Willie’s Way
Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

L. Wille - Founder of Willie's Bakery
Louis Wille – Founder of Willie’s Cafe and Bakery

 

Willie's in the 19th C
Willie’s Location in Old Town Victoria
Willie Sign
Franz Louis Wille, the Founder’s son, operated Wille’s for 60 years

 

Willie's-1939-19x12
Willie’s in 1939

 

Inside Willie's
Willie’s in 2015

 

Alexis 4
Casual Lunch

 

Breakfast at Willie's
Willie’s serves several varieties of Eggs Benedict

 

Willie's Counter